My mom is a tough lady. She is tiny but don’t let that fool you. When I casually mentioned I’d like to get a tattoo in memory of my dad, she quickly shared her opinion. I didn’t ask for her permission since I’m 35 and she can’t threaten to take away my car or college tuition (I joked that I was going to get some ink in college and she said without missing a beat that she’d burn it off with a curling iron…) but she shared her thoughts anyway. I’m still on the fence. Needless to say, if I do get one, there won’t be a blog post because I don’t want to get grounded. I know mom just worries and still sees me as a little girl. She can’t help it. Now that I have three daughters of my own, I understand. There are some other things you should know about my mom.
1. She can whistle so loud that it’s stunning. I’m talking the two fingers on each side of her mouth whistle. This woman should hang out at construction sites and make the workers uncomfortable.
2. She is a fanatic when it comes to rules. Mom tried to teach us how to play poker during a particularly long series of snow days. She had a page of rules. It was ridiculous. My dad used to say that if my mom was alone in the Sahara and came to a stop sign, she’d stop.
3. She graduated from college at the age of 36 while running a home and taking care of three school age children. Mom wanted a college education and she completed a Masters and Rank 1 in education in five years.
4. Mom is a great cook and as my husband says, a “foodie.” We tease her about this a lot. She tolerates us.
5. Finally, my mom is a woman with a great deal of grace. She and my dad were married for 40 years and her loss can only be understood by others who have been through the same thing.
I want to be just like her when I grow up